Who doesn’t love tacos for breakfast right?? This is the perfect thing for you if you love tacos any time of the day and also super nutritious with the black beans, tomatoes, avocado and eggs. A couple little fun facts about black beans, they actually have around the same amount of Zinc as turkey or shrimp and are also loaded with fibre, protein, phytonutrients and improve your fat metabolism. Two flavonoids (type of antioxidant) in black beans called quercetin and saponins also aid in cardioprotection. Quercetin acts as a natural anti-inflammatory that is known to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis (build up of plaque and cholesterol in your arteries) and actually protect against the damage caused by LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. Pretty cool eh? Eat more black beans!
There really isn’t much to this recipe but thats whats good about it! It takes no time at all to whip these bad boys up and they are so tasty and satisfying.
What I do to make these breakfast tacos is grab two corn tortillas first. I just started buying corn tortillas because it (obviously) uses corn instead of wheat and corn has more health benefits then wheat does. Corn contains more fibre, phosphorous, copper and manganese then wheat tortillas and also has a decent amount of iron and calcium. The only thing is that during processing and packaging cross-contamination CAN happen so thats why the ingredient list says it may contain wheat. Corn is naturally gluten-free, but if you have an intolerance or allergy just be mindful of cross-contamination possibilities unless the package says gluten-free on it.
These are the kind I have, I live in a small town with limited grocery store options so these were the only ones available. I did enjoy them though!
What you’ll need for this recipe:
– Pack of corn tortillas or wheat tortillas
– 2-3 eggs
– Can of Black beans
– Grape tomatoes
– Dairy free or normal cheese
– Almond milk
- The first step is to scramble some eggs! I scramble 3 eggs with a bit of almond milk and either some nutritional yeast or dairy free cheese. I also add a bit of salt and pepper to taste and then I’m good to go!
- Heat up some black beans next. I just throw a bunch in a pan with a bit of olive oil to heat up for about 5 minutes or so.
- Once the eggs and beans are done, I first divide the scrambled eggs into each tortilla then on top of the eggs I layer the black beans.
- Slice some avocado then layer that on top of the black beans and scrambled eggs in your tortilla
- Lastly, halve some grape tomatoes and throw some of those on top as well.
For toppings: this is up to you! My go-to toppings are salsa and sometimes cilantro if I have some around. You can do sour cream or plain greek yogurt, or just keep it plain! Totally up to you but salsa is definitely super bomb on top.
Just an FYI, this is incredible messy and like 9 times out of 10 my tortillas fall apart cause I load way too much stuff in it lol. Still tastes amazing even if its a mess on my plate sooooo make sure you have some napkins handy. (See the picture above) Or just don’t load it to the max like I always tend to do. Whatever you want!
Another option if you don’t eat eggs, you could scramble tofu up as well with a bunch of veggies and black beans for vegan tacos! Just as tasty with meatless options.
Hope you enjoy this tasty breakfast recipe as much as I do!