I promised a blog post for this recipe so here it is!
This soup recipe is what dreams are made of. Its comforting, flavourful, delicious, filling and just warms up the soul! Perfect for a chilly Winter day in Manitoba.
I just love cooking with lentils too. I find them so versatile, delicious and they are so nutritious! Lentils actually have about the same amount of protein as a steak making it a great protein option for vegans/vegetarians or even if your not! Im definitely not either one of those but I do enjoy these little red babies.
Lentils are also jam packed with fibre which promotes healthy gut bacteria, keeps you regular and can help lower your blood sugar. They are also rich in iron, phosphorous, folate, magnesium, zinc and potassium!
You will find they make this soup recipe very filling and satisfying which I love.
The other great thing about this recipe is that it is so quick and easy with just a few simple ingredients that are thrown together to make some magic. I mean who wants to come home from a long day of work and spend an hour or more getting supper ready. NOT ME!
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Bag of red lentils
- Coconut milk
- Curry powder
- Water (you can substitute the water for beef or chicken broth)
- Can of crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Most of these things I’m sure a lot of you have on hand already which makes it even easier.
I used raw lentils for this recipe, because they expand when they cook which makes the thick, creamy texture (along with coconut milk) for the soup. If you use canned lentils I would suggest using only HALF the amount of liquid required for the soup so you still get some thickness.
For the coconut milk, I used canned stuff because I couldn’t find any other kind in Eriksdale. It separates in the can with the meat of the coconut and the water, so I like to dump this all in a mixing bowl before starting this recipe and mixing it with a whisk or a fork so its all creamy and well combined.
Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced (real ginger root is the best)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz can)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-6 cups water ( or chicken/beef broth)
- 7 oz coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger until they are soft and the onions start to brown.
- Add in curry powder and let that cook with the onion, garlic and ginger for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add in your red lentils, stir and cook for about another two minutes
- Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes into the red lentils with the water and salt. Stir all of this really well so it is all combined.
- Bring this to a simmer and let it cook for about twenty minutes until the lentils expand, and are soft and tender.
- Once the lentils look cooked, you can add in your coconut milk for the extra creamy and thickness. This definitely kicks off the recipe in the BEST way. Stir in the coconut milk well, and let this cook for another twenty minutes.
- Serve warm and its really good with a squeeze of lemon juice on top.
- Add a bit more salt and pepper if needed!
- VOILA !
Hope you guys love this recipe as much as I do. Definitely will be making again very soon.
Let me know what you think!
Have a fantastic Sunday guys! Love you all.