Okay you guys…. this salmon recipe is so good. Like honestly I have never had Salmon in any restaurant that had this much flavour, plus the mix of sweet with the avocado mango salsa just kicks it up 10 notches.
I am not taking credit for this recipe though, I got this bad boy from reading the Pinch of Yum blog which is a food blog run by the lovely Lindsay Ostrom. She shares the most amazing recipes on her page and I just had to share this specific one with all MY blog/social media readers because it was SO. GOOD. And didn’t want you guys to miss out in case you don’t follow her. Check out her page and instagram for more awesome, delicious recipes.
ANYWAYS, lets get back to the good stuff.
I know it says BBQ in the title, but surprise! 0 BBQ’ing is done in this recipe, but it has that BBQ taste from the rub that you put on the salmon. Not even joking, its the best rub/marinade I’ve ever had. Like it straight up tastes like it was bbq’d and has that sweet, smoky, crispy flavour. SO GOOD.
This recipe is super simple, quick and like I said already, simply delicious. Even my boyfriend loved it and he isn’t the biggest salmon fan so that’s gotta count for something right?
Everything is super easy to make, its really just a matter of throwing things in a bowl, mixing it together and done!
I used white rice with this recipe because the stickiness just worked better in my opinion but you can use brown or jasmine or whatever type of rice floats your boat.
For the mango salsa I only had frozen mango that I just thawed. I had to drain some of the juice when it thawed out but it worked just as well as fresh mango!
Also I didn’t have any cilantro handy so I skipped that part of the recipe, but if you have cilantro to put in the salsa then I highly recommend adding it!
BBQ Salmon Bowls with Avocado Mango Salsa
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1-2 lbs of salmon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mango Avocado Salsa:
- 2 mangoes diced, or if using frozen I did about 1 1/2 cups thawed mango
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- drizzle of honey, (about a tablespoon)
- a squeeze of lime juice + some lime zest
- salt to taste
- Rice of your choice (between Matthew and I, I cooked 4 servings for reference, personally 1 serving each wasn’t enough)
- Mango Salsa: You literally just toss all ingredients into a bowl, drizzle with honey and lime juice, mix it all together and your all done!
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Mix all spices and oil together in order to prep the salmon. Place the spice mixture over the salmon and spread it around until its all covered.
- Bake the salmon for about 6-12 minutes depending on the thickness. We get our salmon from costco and the cut we got was perfect after 10 minutes in the oven. I did check it at 6 minutes though because you don’t want the sugar on top to burn, and overcooked salmon is really dry.
- Once the salmon is done you can make your bowl! Put rice on the bottom, pull apart some salmon and place it on top of the rice, add on as much mango salsa as desired (its so good, I liked a lot on top) and squeeze a touch of lime juice over top (optional).. VOILA!
Simple, quick, easy and delicious. My kind of meal, especially on a weeknight where I don’t feel like spending an hour cooking dinner after a day of work.
You could totally add more veggies if desired to the recipe, I feel like brocolli, mushrooms or asparagus would be good on here. Next time I make this I will definitely throw some more in.
Also I want to add that its really good the next day! In my opinion anyways. I’m not big on food waste so trying to minimize it as best as possible is my favorite. Personally I thought the mango salsa tasted better the next day because all the flavours sat overnight and it was nice and cold.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I did, props again to Lindsay from Pinch of Yum for this one. Check her page out guys shes so awesome and I look forward to learning more recipes from her. But I just had to share this with you guys!!
Have a fabulous day and weekend my friends